If you ever find yourself in Central Queensland and are itching to go to a tropical island getaway, there’s always Great Keppel Island to explore. (Photo by LeeLeFever_TwinF)
It’s the biggest island of Queensland’s Kepel Group and like most islands in Australia, it’s an oasis of national parks, exotic wildlife and azure blue sea.
Another good thing about Great Keppel Island is that it is a short boat ride away from the mainland, so traveling there is really quite quick and easy. You can even go there for a day trip if you want (although I think staying for a longer period of time will make you appreciate the place more)
I’ve written down below the different ways to go to the island to help you with your trip.
Travelling To Great Keppel Island
Most travelers first go to Rockhampton which is the nearest city to the island. From there, you can take a 45-minute bus ride to Rosslyn Bay, near Yeppon, where ferry services leave daily for Great Keppel Island.
Bus From Rockhampton To Rosslyn Bay
There are many buses that regularly go to Rosslyn Bay, so you shouldn’t have a problem finding one in Rockhampton.
Youngs Coaches and Rothery's Bus Services both have regular trips to Rosslyn Bay as listed below.
- Youngs Coaches (George Street) : Route 20 buses go to Rosslyn Bay via Yeppon at 5:30 in the morning and 7:30 in the evening. Operates every day
- Rothery’s Coaches: Travels from Rockhampton at 7:30, 10:15 & 1:15. From Keppel Bay back to Rockhampton at 8.45 am; 11.30 am; & 2.45 p.m Advance booking is required. Operates only from Monday to Friday
Car Park At Rosslyn Bay
If you decide to drive to Rosslyn Bay, there’s a car park near the marina called the Great Kepple Island Security Park. You can call them ahead for reservations at (07) 4933 6670. Car park rates are:
• Outdoor parking: $7/day
• Undercover parking: $9
Day trippers can also park their cars in the open air car parks at the marina and the ferry terminal.
Alternative Transportation From Rockhampton:
1) Taxi : You can also take a taxi which costs about $100 One way (as of time of writing (2005)
2) Hotel Transfers : Many hotels in Rockhampton offer transfers to Rosslyn Bay. The hotel you’re staying in will most likely have one.
Ferry Service From Rosslyn Bay To Great Kepple Island
From Rosslyn Bay, there are two companies that travel to Great Keppel Island. These are the Keppel Tourist Services and The Freedom Fast Cat.
Freedom Fast Cats leaves Rosslyn Bay from the new marina at 9:00 am, 11:30am and 3pm every day. It leaves Great Kepple at 10am, 2pm and 4p.m.
Keppel Tourist Services which runs from the ferry terminal on the other hand leaves at 7.30am, 9.15am, 11.30am, 3.30pm and leaves Great Kepple Island at 8.30am, 10am, 2pm, 4.30pm. Phone: 07 4936 6744
The ferry to the island takes about 30 minutes
If you’ve prebooked a hotel in Keppel Island, you can ask them to make all the necessary ferry reservations for you.
The two ferry services above also offer day cruises such as a snorkeling or a lunch cruise.
Flight Charters To Great Keppel Island
You can also fly direct to Kepel Island from Rockhampton. The flight lasts for 15 minutes.
Contact the following flight chartering companies for reservations and details:
- Horizon Air: (07) 4921 1855.
- Capricorn Air : 4921 1855
- Rockhampton Aero Club : (07) 4922 4596